• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homebrew [RELEASE] BAX - Boot animations for your 3DS!

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
Website
gameparadise.org
Credits
I've always been unsatisfied with the original BA9, it was kinda weird with specific environments, etc... so I did the only logical thing.
I rewrote it from scratch (more than once!).

The new BAX uses lossless compression (LZ4) and delta encoding to work around some of the issues like the low resolution of the 3DS screens and fundamental problems like MJPEG size.

It uses a 16 bit color space (RGB565) and lossless compression, which leads to (IMHO) great visual quality when the video source is properly encoded. This also allows the use of up to both screens running at 60fps, the target I aimed for with the original BA9.

Also included in the source is makebax, an utilty that can convert IVF files to a format usable by BAX. It can accept videos that are 400x240, 320x240 or 720x240, each corresponding to a different variation - top screen only, bottom screen only or both screens at the same time. Read this for more information.

I know at this point in time the 3DS is quickly dying and nobody cares too much about anything other than CFWs when it comes to baremetal development, but I thought it'd be better to make a proper thread for this thing rather than let it rot in some hidden repo. Sorry about the lack of flair or any premade content on this thread, but I just don't know how to write attractive text, I guess.

If you make any animations, feel free to post them as replies to this thread, and as always, feedback is very appreciated.

Latest release
Source

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back